httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] cgi & perl
Date Sat, 31 May 2003 21:53:52 GMT
On Sat, 31 May 2003, Ken Shail wrote:

> Thanks for that.
> Believe it or not,I did considerable reading before coming here. The HOWTO/HTML on Mandrake
suggests that you can put scripts in any directory.  It says "this is simple to set up.First
uncomment the .cgi handler at the end of the srm.conf file then make sure that all your directories
have the option ExecCGI or All in the access.conf file" This is where I lost faith because
I don't have a srm.conf file. A search of the whole tree did not find it.
> The documents also suggest amending httpd.conf, but I have etc/httpd/conf/httpd2conf.
Are they the same thing?
> If so, when I open it it clearly states "You really shouldn't change these settings unless
you/re a guru". I aint a guru so I stop at that point.
> There is a point with this stuff where nothing works out so you lose faith in the documents.

The difficulty here seems to stem from the fact that Mandrake makes
quite a few changes to Apache before they put it in their distribution,
and not all of these changes are for the best. The "unless you're a
guru" remark is particularly irritating to me, as I encourage people to
tinker with their configuration file. It's the best way to learn stuff.

Regarding srm.conf: You might look at the notes in Apache Week, from
October 1998: http://www.apacheweek.com/issues/98-10-23
srm.conf is a fossil of an earlier day, and it is usually either empty
or completely absent. So any howto that recommends editing srm.conf is
likely at least 4 years old, and likely incorrect.

httpd.conf is the main Apache configuration file, and other files may be
included, using the Include directive. See
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#include for more details.
Basically, all configuration files are equal, and changes in any one of
them has the same effect overall. There's no "right file" to put
directives in.

Don't judge the documentation (the official documentation, that is) by
the changes that Mandrake makes. Read the documentation and howtos on
Apache.org in preference to those that come with Mandrake, if possible.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@apache.org
Apache Web Server Documentation Team