httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Holding on to CGI
Date Wed, 07 May 2003 14:55:10 GMT

On Wed, 7 May 2003, Razvan Costea-Barlutiu wrote:

> >See:
> >http://www.htmlhelp.org/faq/cgifaq.3.html#8
> >
> >Joshua.
>
> Thank you for the quick reply... but I can't seem to access the page? I
> tried adding a dash (html-help) but can't get further into server either way.
> Are there any mirrors?

It works fine for me.  Perhaps you have a nasty proxy in between.  Anyway,
here is the relevant text:

3.8: Can I launch a long process and return a page before it's finished?

[UNIX]
You have to fork/spawn the long-running process.
The important thing to remember is to close all its file descriptors;
otherwise nothing will be returned to the browser until it's finished.
The standard trick to accomplish this is redirection to/from /dev/null:

        "long_process < /dev/null > /dev/null 2>&1 &"
        print HTML page as usual