httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Aaron Spike" <sau...@mlc-wels.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Newbie Question: Does mod_dir require mod_mime?
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2003 22:03:01 GMT
> You won't get anywhere with apache unless you look in the error log.
This is day one for me and apache, but I guess I should just know
something like that. Thanks.

> > > But you should notice that if you remove
> > > mod_mime, then the only way apache has to determine the mime type is
> > > DefaultType.  So your index.html file will not be designated as text/html
> > > like it is supposed to be.
> > What if I change DefaultType from text/plain to text/html? It still
> > doesn't work. Same results. Are there any other negative effects of
> > this configuration change?
> Looking at the code, I see there is actually a dependency through
> DIR_MAGIC_TYPE, which mod_mime needs to set for directories.  In 2.0, this
> is handled differently and the dependency doesn't exist.
So mod_dir requires mod_mime.

> It is a good exercise to go through and figure out what all the modules
> do, but in general, you should expect weird things to happen unless you
> include the ones labled as "base" in the docs.
I see you said "in general." Here are three base modules I really
want to exclude:
mod_negotiation - I will only serve pages in a single language.
mod_userdir - no users exist but me.
mod_autoindex - I don't want directory listing.

Is this goning to cause me anymore problems? I noticed that even if I
disable-module=negotiation I still have index.html.* instead of
index.html.

Thanks for the personal explanation. That always blows the
documentation away!

Aaron Spike