httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jason Cicillian" <jacre...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Basic index.html Problem
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2003 20:24:52 GMT
I did have only 1 file name but I was using the Gnome (I think) graphical configuator.  When
I viewed the file in VI, it didn't show any carriage returns (^M)...
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: csebe@fx.ro
  To: users@httpd.apache.org
  Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 5:12 AM
  Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Basic index.html Problem

  It's good it works now. An explanation to this just crossed my head and I'd be interested
to find out if I'm right:

  At the time you've had the problem did you have only one filename after the DirectoryIndex
directive? (I understand that it was indeed the correct name ;-) Like:

  DirectoryIndex index.html

  And did you add/copy/mangled that line yourself?

  If these are true, it might have been something with the Unix/Windows line ending. Adding
some other Index.html, index.htm... to that line just moved the line ending from the filename
of interest, so it started to respond to it.

  Try to open the httpd.conf in vi and see if there is a ^M at the end of (almost) each line,
including that one. The editor from midnight commander for example, doesn't see them.

  Bests,

  Lian Sebe, M.Sc.
  Freelance Analyst-Programmer
  www.programEz.net