httpd-users mailing list archives

From Elam Daly <e...@comcast.net>
Subject [users@httpd] htpasswd problems
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2003 21:26:36 GMT
Howdy all,

I have recently upgraded my Red Hat Distro from 7.3 to 8.0.
8.0, by default uses Apache 2, which I wasn't aware of.

I have a perl program that lets users manipulate .htaccess password
files that
worked fine in apache 1.3, but now I get this curious error:

htpasswd: unable to create temporary file 'htpasswd.tmp.fsvnOz'

Of course, the name changes everytime.  I know it's an permissions
error, but I can't figure out where.  My password file is kept in a
top-level directory, outside of the server root, with permissions
assigned to user apache, which is what the web server runs as.  Even if
I change permissions to a+wrx for the entire directory, it doesn't work.

any ideas?

thanks,
elam