httpd-users mailing list archives

From René Clerc <r...@clerc.nl>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3 VirtualHost in combo with rewrite
Date Mon, 06 Oct 2003 15:19:03 GMT
Hi Nikolaus,

(sorry for the late reply, been busy)

* Nikolaus Schmitt <n.schmitt@scaet.de> [03-10-2003 01:25]:

> some hints that may help You out:
> The "default vhost" ist the literally 1st one within the apache
> configuration file (configuration file hierarchy, if You use the "include"
> directive). Thus, you should place the "_default_" vhost definition before
> the www.foo.com block. You should change the term "_default_" to an ip
> address or a resolvable hostname, indeed.

The above does not work.  All get directed to the application.  I'm
using:

# rpm -qi apache
Name        : apache                       Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 1.3.27                            Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 3                             Build Date: Tue 02 Sep 2003

on a RedHat 7.3 system.  Need more information?

> A hint to achieve (at least slightly) better performance:
> Use "mod_jk" to couple Apache and Tomcat.

Yeah, I'll probably try that, but this was quicker, since my
predecessor set it up this way.  I figured it would be nothing more
than a little fiddling with the vhosts... ;-)

> A hint to achieve much better performance:
> Use Apache 2 and mod_jk2 to couple Apache and Tomcat and configure jk2 to
> communicate using "shared memory".

Thanks for the tips, I'll look into it!  But, of course, I _would_
like to know why I can't get the vhost approach to work.. ;)

TIA,

--
René Clerc                      - (rene@clerc.nl) - PGP: 0x9ACE0AC7

153. My Legions of Terror will be an equal-opportunity employer.
     Conversely, when it is prophesied that no man can defeat me, I will
     keep in mind the increasing number of non-traditional gender roles.

-"Peter Anspach's list of things to do as an Evil Overlord"