httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jonas Eckerman <jonas_li...@frukt.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache fails to do it's job properly
Date Sat, 25 Oct 2003 22:02:01 GMT
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:19:00 +0200, A. Gideonse wrote:

> I can view pages from the server (with localhost, 80.60.18.78 and
> 192.168.0.1 (ip on network)) and from computers on the local
> network (with 80.60.81.78 and 192.168.0.1).

Then why're you saying that Apache isn't doing it's job properly?
Obviously Apache is answering requests from other machines.

Does Apache's error logs (wich you hav, of course, allready checked)
list any failed requests? Do they list *any* requests from machines
outside your local networks?

> Seems like apache is running as an intranet server.

Apache doesn't know what an Intranet is. It only knows about HTTP
requests/replies, local filesystem and interned addresses (IP and
domain). It cannot automatically see the diffrerence between adresses
on your local network and adresses outside it.

You can, however, manually limit Apache to not serve requests from
any adress.

> find it on http://home.planet.nl/~gideo017/tempz/httpd.conf

> ServerName ArnoOnline
> UseCanonicalName Off

Odd server name. :-/ With that name, it's good that you have
UseCanonicalName off. But you'll still have problems with old
HTTP/1.0 browsers if any such tries to use the site.

I did not, however, see any IP address based limiting in that conf,
so you Apache should answer requests it receives disregarding where
they originates. Note: requests it receives.

/Jonas

--
Jonas Eckerman, jonas_lists@frukt.org
http://www.fsdb.org/