httpd-users mailing list archives

From CJ <unix1...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] need help with ip addr not resolving to www name.
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:29:33 GMT
Hi All,

Boy were you guys busy over the weekend. I had approx
117 messages from this group.

I just wanted to update you on this issue.

I turns out that since my hosting company made the DNS
change the virtual hosts are working now as they
should.

Thanx for all the help in setting them up.

CJ
--- Boyle Owen <Owen.Boyle@swx.com> wrote:
> Plain text please...
>
> I think you might be misunderstanding the function
> of the ServerName
> directive. It is used by apache to match INCOMING
> requests to the
> appropriate virtual host. It is not "returned" to
> the client...
>
> Assuming http, a URL consists of two parts:
>
> 	http://host/localinfo
>
> - The "host" can be a fully-qualified domain name,
> like www.amazon.com,
> a machine name on the local network, or a bare IP
> address. It may or may
> not include a port number - if it doesn't, port 80
> is assumed. In any
> case, it must resolve to an IP address.
> - The "localinfo" is the path to the file you want
> from the DocumentRoot
> of the VH defined by the "host".
>
> If your link contains an IP address as the Host,
> then when the request
> arrives at apache, it will have no "host"
> information. If you have
> several name-based VHs, apache will not be able to
> match it to any
> particular one and so will serve the first VH by
> default. If you have
> only one VH, it will serve that one. Note that
> apache just serves files
> - it doesn't tell the client anything about the VH
> configuration...
>
> However, the way to get things to work the way you
> want is to set up
> name-based virtual hosting with two VHs. One is your
> "real" VH with the
> "real" ServerName and the other, which must come
> first, is a dummy VH
> with a fake ServerName. The dummy VH then redirects
> all traffic to the
> real VH. E.g.
>
> NameVirtualHost *
>
> # Fake VH to trap host-less requests
> <VirtualHost *>
>   ServerName dummy-fake
>   Redirect / http://www.your-server.com/
> </VirtualHost>
>
> # Real VH
> <VirtualHost *>
>   ServerName www.your-server.com
>   DocumentRoot /path/to/real/site
>   ...etc.
>
> So what happens is:
>
> - request comes in with no host header
> - doesn't match VH1 (servername = dummy-fake)
> - doesn't match VH2 (servername =
> www.your-server.com)
> - so apache serves VH1 by default
> - VH1 says, redirect to www.your-server.com
> - apache sends 301 Redirect to the browser
> - browser receives the redirect and changes display
> to read
> www.your-server.com
> - new request comes in WITH host header =
> www.your-server.com
> - doesn't match VH1 (servername = dummy-fake)
> - matches VH2 so browser gets that data.
>
> Rgds,
> Owen Boyle
> Disclaimer: Any disclaimer attached to this message
> may be ignored.

10101010011100101001001000011010000001000100101010101010

=====