httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] "Too many connections" error fix?
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2003 06:23:44 GMT
Nathan Ollerenshaw wrote:

> If you see a lot of SELECT all taking a long time to complete, you will
> probably find that any INSERT or UPDATEs going on are locking the whole
> table and stopping the SELECTs from completing (I'm sure there is a
> better explanation but I'm not a real DBA).

Not true:

<http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Table_locking.html>

"In MySQL Version 3.23.7 and above, you can insert rows into MyISAM
tables at the same time other threads are reading from the table. Note
that currently this only works if there are no holes after deleted rows
in the table at the time the insert is made. When all holes has been
filled with new data, concurrent inserts will automatically be enabled
again."

Brian