httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Virtual Hosting Test
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2003 11:40:10 GMT
Ron Lang wrote:

> Here's my problem. I'm trying to test from my iMac as a remote on the intranet. But I
can't successfully request the 'Test Page'. I get the message, "failed to connect to server"
when I enter my virtual server name in my browser. I have configured Apache HTTP Server using
the

Why are you resolving the server name to that of the gateway?  If you're
trying to access the server running on *.101 from *.102, then you need
the name that you're using to resolve to *.101, not *.1.

And I can't tell if you realize this or not, but this won't work from
outside of the gateway (i.e. from the internet.)  For that to work your
hostname must resolve to the external IP address of your connection and
you must tell the gateway to forward port 80 to the machine that's
running the server.

Brian