httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Gusti Benawi" <Ben...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] VirtualHost help
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 17:52:15 GMT
> > > Of course you also updated you DNS pointers so that a.mydomain.com and
> > b.mydomain.com pointed the the web server?
> > How do i do that?
> Ahh, this helps.  :)  Is mydomain.com a registered name on the internet
> and
> you have gone to the registrar's website and logged in and specified
> primary
> and secondary DNS servers?
yes, mydomain.com is a registered name on the internet,
i have also specified the primary and secondary DNS servers.

> If yes, then you have to have A or CNAME records added such that the new
> host names a.mydomain.com, b.mydomain.com, c.mydomain.com, etc., are all
> going to resolve to the IP address of your webserver.
what is A or CNAME records?

how can i do that, that a.mydomain.com, b.mydomqin.com etc., are all going
to resolve to the IP address of my webserver?

is it done by the sysadmin?
i was given only one static-ip which belong to the uni.
for example the uni's address is myuni.edu , then i was given an ip, which
dns myname.myuni.edu.
thats all, now i installed webserver on linux box, setting up the ip,
gateway, host, primary and secondary dns server.

what i would like is only to make a.myname.myuni.edu possible

He abused me, he beated me,
He defeated me, he robbed me,
In those who harbour such thoughts
Hatred never ceases.