httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] separate htaccess
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2003 23:50:31 GMT

Ouch.  Let me count that ways this is broken:

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Tom Holton wrote:
> <IfModule mod_userdir.c>
>     UserDir HTML
> </IfModule>

Drop the <IfModule> and </IfModule> lines.  They just hide useful error
messages.

> Then, I have the following:
>
>     <Directory /path/users/~user/HTML/Protected/>

Can you "cd /path/users/~user/HTML/Protected"?  I doubt it.  I'd guess you
need to drop the "~".

> and I have a .htaccess file in this directory:
>
> AuthUserFile /path/users/user/HTML/Protected/.htpasswd
> AuthName "Admin"
> AuthType Basic
> <Limit GET POST>
> require user allowuser
> </Limit>

What gave you the impression you need the <Limit GET POST> and </Limit>
lines?  They are dangerous and should be ommitted.  See the docs for the
<Limit> directive to find out why.

Also, you know that you don't need to use .htaccess files if you have
access to the httpd.conf, right?  Any directive that can be placed in
.htaccess can also be placed inside a <Directory> section in httpd.conf.

Joshua.