httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] separate htaccess
Date Sat, 25 Oct 2003 01:12:51 GMT

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Tom Holton wrote:
> > >     <Directory /path/users/~user/HTML/Protected/>
> >
> > Can you "cd /path/users/~user/HTML/Protected"?  I doubt it.  I'd guess you
> > need to drop the "~".
>
> No, I can't cd there, but all html pages can be accessed right now using
> this kind of URL. Wouldn't that break if I took the ~ out?

No.  <Directory> takes file-system paths, not web paths.

> > Also, you know that you don't need to use .htaccess files if you have
> > access to the httpd.conf, right?  Any directive that can be placed in
> > .htaccess can also be placed inside a <Directory> section in httpd.conf.
> >
> This I don't understand. What does it mean to "have access to the
> httpd.conf" ? I mean, I have .htaccess files that do work inside the
> directory area where the server runs. They just don't work if they are on
> a computer that is being mounted by the server. Does that make sense?

Obviously you have access to httpd.conf because you are editting it.  In
that case, you don't need to use .htaccess at all.  .htaccess is designed
for distributed configuration where you want to give some configuration
control to people who aren't allowed to edit .htaccess.

Joshua.