httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache tuning for high performance
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 18:54:29 GMT

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Boyle Owen wrote:
> >This page will be serving a cookie and small html
> >text.Most hits will come on Monday and Friday during day time.
> >So if I have 5000 hits in a minute, will this configuration able to
> >handle that ?
>
> The important directive is "MaxClients 150" - assume this is reached,
> then each daemon must handle 5000/150 = 33.33.. hits per minute, hence
> has about 2 seconds to answer the request. Does the JSP take longer than
> that to return?

One more thing to consider: keep-alives.  Even if the request takes only
two seconds, most clients will hold the connection (and therefore occupy
an apache child) for longer.  To get the most scalability, you will want
to either turn KeepAlive off or turn down the KeepAliveTimeout to a low
level.  (This will, of course, make the sight slower for clients who
request multiple files.)

Another issue: is it really just a jsp, or is it a jsp + some images, etc.
If there are other files that need to be served, you need to multiply your
requirements by at least two, since most clients will open two separate
connections to the server.

You also need to consider that web load is almost always spikey.  So you
need to plan for excess capacity to handle load spikes.

Joshua.