httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Blomstrom <david_blomst...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache: Once a Service, Always a Service?
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2004 00:26:20 GMT
Some time ago, I downloaded a preconfigured package
with Apache, PHP and MySQL and began learning the
ropes. Apache was set up as a console, but I learned
how to change it to a service by typing a command into
the Windows Command Prompt.

I've had to reinstall this software package several
times. Each time I reinstall it, Apache again opens up
as a console. But I don't need to change it to a
service, because it apparently changes automatically
when I reboot my computer.

Does this make sense? If you install Apache as a
service, is something installed on your computer that
remembers it as a service even after you uninstall
Apache?

This isn't a problem; it's actually very convenient.
But I'd just like to have a better idea of what's
going on, since I'm going to be doing a lot of work
with this program. I may even write a tutorial for
people who are really new to all of this and might
want to use the same software package I'm using.

Thanks!