httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Blomstrom <david_blomst...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: AW: [users@httpd] Apache: Once a Service, Always a Service?
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2004 09:31:22 GMT
Oops, I shouldn't have used the word "uninstall." I
don't believe there is an uninstall feature with this
Apache/PHP/MySQL package. To remove it, I simply
delete the folder; that's what I meant by uninstall.

So your notes make sense to me now. I was deleting the
fiiles, but the service set up remained in my Windows
registry. When I reinstalled the software package, I
turned on the MySQL and Apache consoles, not realizing
that Apache was still running as a service. Then, when
I rebooted my computer and was able to preview my
webpages at http://localhost/, I thought Apache had
magically installed itself as a service.

I still don't know a lot about Apache/PHP/MySQL
installations, but I like the preconfigured package
I'm using, because it seems very simple and reliable.
I've already had to reinstall it half a dozen times
because of various mistakes I've made, so I want a
program that's quick and easy.

I think I've got everything running properly now, so,
hopefully, I won't have to reinstall it again. Thanks
for the tips.