httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] RE: users Digest 23 Jan 2004 16:42:12 -0000 Issue 1379
Date Sat, 24 Jan 2004 01:31:37 GMT
"Doherty, Thomas" wrote:

> Dan,
>
> My understanding is that when using the proxy users configure the IP address
> of the proxy server in their browser. This is suppose to be an Internet
> accessible web site on a DMZ in which the users are unaware of the real IP
> address of the server on a trusted network. We've configured the rewrite
> rule for several other web sites without any problems even with Windows IIS
> as the backend server.
>
> Thanks
> Tom

It is EXTREMELY bad netiquette to quote the ENTIRE DIGEST when you're
replying to a single message.  Furthermore, you didn't even indicate
which message that you were replying to so we really have no idea what
you're talking about.  Please learn how to quote properly.

After searching through all those **** emails in your reply, I finally
realized you're the one that's doing reverse proxying with mod_rewrite
intstead of how you should be doing it with mod_proxy.  Note the key
word *reverse* proxy.  It requires no special end-user configuration.
All the proxying is done on the server side.  I suggest you take a look
at the documentation for "ProxyPass" and "ProxyPassReverse".  They
implement exactly what you're trying to do with mod_rewrite.

Brian