httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] No login challenge
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2004 06:44:13 GMT
Ted wrote:
> I set the directory up as below:  No login challenge.
> <Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin">
> AllowOverride All
> AllowOverride AuthConfig
> AuthName "Restricted Site"
> AuthType Basic
> AuthUserFile /var/www/SitePsw/password
> require user Ted
> Options ExecCGI Includes FollowSymLinks Indexes MultiViews
> AddHandler cgi-script cgi pl
> Allow from all
> Order allow,deny
> </Directory>

Looks OK.

> When I look at the page returned using "view source", here's what I see.
>
> <title>401 Authorization Required</title>
> </head><body>
> <h1>Authorization Required</h1>
> are authorized to access the document
> requested.  Either you supplied the wrong
> credentials (e.g., bad password), or your
> browser doesn't understand how to supply
> the credentials required.</p>
> <hr />
> <address>Apache/2.0.40 Server at 66.12.9.126 Port 26788</address>
> <!--//--><script>
> if(document.layers){document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEUP);}
> document.onmouseup=PrxOMUp;</script>

What is that ^^^ (last three lines) !?!? But, this isn't what you are
seeing? What do IE display in the window?

Are you accessing your site via a proxy from IE? Something must add those
last lines. It might screw up the status code (eg. not sending 401) messing
up headers or something like that.

> So, duh.  It appears that I'm getting the expected response, but due to
> it's form, the IE browser isn't producing the login box.  One might expect
> the Apache to return something more like:
> HTTP/1.1 401 Authorization Required

Is it not doing this? Please check with another browser, preferably Mozilla
Firebird with the Live HTTP Headers extension, so you can see what Apache is
saying.

> There are no error messages in either apache_logs or connect_logs.

There must (or at least, should) be an entry for the request, right?

Regards,
Robert Andersson