httpd-users mailing list archives

From Bryan Irvine <bryan.irv...@kingcountyjournal.com>
Subject [users@httpd] open proxies?
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2004 17:59:39 GMT
I recently stumbled onto this site:
http://www.lurhq.com/proxies.html

Which made for an interesting read.  After I was done I figured I'd do
some checking for open proxies.  As the article suggests I telnetted to
port 80 on my webservers and issued "GET http://www.yahoo.com/ HTTP/1.0"
hit enter twice, and lo and behold I saw yahoo's page come up.  I tried
this on all of my servers and every single one came up and being an open
proxy.

I even tried www.microsoft.com hotmail.com www.whitehouse.gov and even
httpd.apache.org.  I even browsed the internet to sites I hadn't been to
ever or in a long time and they all seemed to display.

Is this site spreading hocus pocus or is every site in the known
universe an open proxy?

I tried the archives but couldn't find this specific issue.

Can someone explain this to me?

--Bryan