httpd-users mailing list archives

From hunter <theanti...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] localhost not working on XP
Date Mon, 22 Mar 2004 01:19:38 GMT
On Sun, 2004-03-21 at 18:59, Kim Evans wrote:
> Chris,
> I re-starting Apache and ran the netstat it gave me
> TCP   kim01:http            kim01:0                  LISTENING        4000
>

> These 2 appeared and then dissappeared
> TCP   kim01:http            localhost:2133        ESTABLISHED   4000
> TCP   kim01:2133          localhost:HTTP      ESTABLISHED   2960
>
> There is nothing against 80
>
> Going to localhost didn't add anything to the error log
> The \etc\hosts file has the 127.0.0.1  localhost.
>
> Kim

Kim,

At this point everything looks normal except that you cannot get the
page to load. And I do not know what is wrong, though this complaint
seems quite common.

I have one other suggestion.

My builds start and work without any pre-configuration - though you will
most certainly want to make some later (like add mod_ssl or mod_deflate)
- at this point you just want to get a server up and running.

Download one of my builds from one of these locations...

http://hunter.campbus.com
http://tor.ath.cx/~hunter/apache

Uninstall the other version...

cd to the \apache\bin directory and type
apache -k uninstall

Leave your code there for now unless it is in c:\apache (else delete
it).

Unzip my build into c:\apache

Don't modify any config information - the server should start as it is
and give to a page when you use http://localhost.

cd to c:\apache\bin and type
apache -k install

then apache -k start

Check now to see if you can load the new installation page.

Let me know if you can get this version working.

You can decied later how you want to get your binaries... from the
automatic install or mine (manual - but simple).

Chris.