httpd-users mailing list archives

From George Boston <gbost...@prodigy.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: questions...
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2004 15:22:08 GMT
Ken:  Thanks for your comments.  I changed treadsperchild to 50.  localhost doesn't display
an Apache page.  I could upgrade WinME: I have WinXP in New York with its CD there, returning
to NY in 6-8 weeks.  I installed php before Apache, a no-no??  Do I need to uninstall, then
re-install php?  php3 or php4?  If this is so, can I respond to the rest of your comment after
corrective action?  --G

Ken Easson <ken@justken.net> wrote:Hello,

I ran a system similar to the one you describe. I had a lot of problems with WinME. If possible
switch to windows NT or windows 2000, One of the problems with windows ME is the way that
Apache and php fork processes - and ME just isn't designed to handle that - basically - it's
not a server OS and Apache and php both servers. (so is mysql).

You may want to look for this:
<IfModule mpm_winnt.c>
ThreadsPerChild 250
MaxRequestsPerChild  0
</IfModule>

and change ThreadsPerChild to something much lower. The Apache 1.3 website for windows recommends
50.
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#threadsperchild

It's possible to get it all working, but my experience, it was VERY unstable - and the reason
i went out and bought windows 2000 some years ago. I am now an avid freeBSD enthusiast, as
a result of my web server experiences with windows, and have been migrating my servers to
FreeBSD - it's all much much simpler.

First - after installation of apache: can you enter "localhost" or "127.0.0.1" into your web
browser, and see the "Apache web server" page. This is Before installing php!
If you can start your apache web server, and see a valid page, not a 404 error. then try installing
php.
If not: find the Listen directive and set this to:

Listen 80

and a bit later on find:
# If your host doesn't have a registered DNS name, enter its IP address here.
and set your servername to either your domain name - if you've set that up. Or, to your ip
- or if you are just using locally to 127.0.0.1
ServerName 127.0.0.1:80

restart the server and try again.

The last gotcha that i've discovered is that the server won't start if you don't have an existin
logs folder for where you tell it to store your logs. if not - you'll need to create the folder
(if you have set your document root to be anything other than the default that installed with
apache.)

You will need to move some files for php - this left me a bit stumped when i read the documentation
as it wasn't quite clear. Basically there is a choice and i moved php.ini the window/ (or
winNT) and both php4apache2.dll and php4ts.dll to the windows/system32 folders. You'll find
these in the php/sapi folder.

At the end of the LoadModule section in the apache config file i have;

LoadModule php4_module php4apache2.dll
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

And then to set up default server behaviour:
# DirectoryIndex: sets the file that Apache will serve if a directory
# is requested.
#
# The index.html.var file (a type-map) is used to deliver content-
# negotiated documents.  The MultiViews Option can be used for the
# same purpose, but it is much slower.
#
DirectoryIndex index.html index.php index.htm

This means that if i have an index.html file an index.php file - the html file will be display
when i ask for the root. / renaming the html file to htm allows the php file to become the
default and index.htm must be called specifically.

The