httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Anders Norrbring" <and...@norrbring.biz>
Subject [users@httpd] Rewrite, or what?
Date Sat, 20 Mar 2004 11:00:06 GMT
> > Nope, that won't do..  I can't have name based vhosts on SSL...  The
> result
> > in startup is;
> >
> > iris:~ # apache2 start
> > Starting httpd2 (prefork) [Fri Mar 19 22:21:14 2004] [warn] _default_
> > VirtualHost overlap on port 443, the first has precedence
> > [Fri Mar 19 22:21:14 2004] [warn] _default_ VirtualHost overlap on port
> 443,
> > the first has precedence
> >
> > So there must be something else I can do.
>
> That is a side-effect of some pre-existing configuration.  You can't just
> add the stuff from the faq to a existing vhost sections.  You need to make
> changes.
>
> The other alternative, as mentioned in the same faq question, is to use
> mod_rewrite.

I've been looking over and over in the virtual hosting configs and examples,
docs etc.  No luck.

So, let me express my thoughts in a new way, maybe it will clear up more
what I'm looking for.

Ideally, I should run mass virtual hosting with mod_vhost_alias for hosts on
port 80.

On SSL port 443, there should be a web page to view for the exact base URL
only.  F.x. https://www.server.tld. (Where www.server.tld is the machine's
native name.)

Lets say I have a virtual host named www.virtual.tld, it should be
accessible only via port 80, i.e. http://www.virtual.tld.
If a user should point his browser to the SSL port with the URL
https://www.virtual.tld, then that user should be presented with an error
page saying something about "nothing here" and so on.

I guess I agree with Joshua that this can only be accomplished with
mod_rewrite, but I have no idea on how to write the rules needed.  I'm
absolutely new to this kind of setup, and the few pages I've found about
mod_rewrite only makes me more confused about it, not the other way around.

Anders.