httpd-users mailing list archives

From Marty Landman <MLand...@face2interface.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] suexec debugging
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2004 01:04:11 GMT
At 07:10 PM 3/1/2004, Dan MacNeil wrote:

>My suexec log is in:
>
>/var/log/apache/suexec.log

found it, on /usr/local/apache/logs/suexec.log -- redhat 9

Which has helped me to see more of the problem, and give me more respect
for the complexity of it all.

the suexec.log says

[2004-03-01 10:53:39]: crit: calling user mismatch (nobody instead of www)

doubtless because I compiled apache with suexec and user www, while my
httpd.conf file has user nobody and group nobody. Planning, who needs planning?

For starters I don't understand groups; there I said it. I changed
httpd.conf to have user www and commented out the group directive for the
document root, while I also have user dad for a virtual host.

Also edited /etc/passwd and changed nobody to www. Apache restarted with no
complaints only it wouldn't run cgi's either from docroot or my virtual
host. Nothing in the suexec.log showed up, but the httpd error log said

[Mon Mar  1 19:47:40 2004] [error] (2)No such file or directory: exec of
/mnt/web/guide/howami/cgibin/hello.cgi failed

for the virthost, and

[Mon Mar  1 19:44:12 2004] [error] (13)Permission denied: exec of
/usr/local/apache/cgi-bin/printenv.cgi failed

for the docroot.

So I backed out my changes to conf and /etc/passwd.

Hmm, there must be something really good coming soon. :)

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc.   845-679-9387
FormATable  DB: http://face2interface.com/Products/FormATable.shtml
Free Formmailer: http://face2interface.com/Products/Formal.shtml