httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Name based Virtual Hosting
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2004 19:57:09 GMT
On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Marco Bascietto wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am having a very trivial problem with NMVH. Apache is a rather new
> land for me and I can't figure out what I am doing wrong, even after
> reading FAQ and manuals.
> Basically I want to set up 2 NMVH to make apache point to 2 sites I have
> on my local machine.
> What I have done:
> 1. added the domains www.foo1.com and www.foo2.com to the hosts file, it
> now looks like this:
> 127.0.0.1        localhost.localdomain localhost www.foo1.com www.foo2.com
>
> 2. added 2 VH to httpd.conf:
> NameVirtualHost http://localhost:80
> <VirtualHost http://localhost>
>     ServerName www.foo1.com
>     DocumentRoot /var/www/html
> </VirtualHost>
> <VirtualHost  http://localhost>
>     ServerName www.foo2.com
>     DocumentRoot /home/bask/documents/sites/foo2
> </VirtualHost>

This syntax for your vhosts is invalid. The argument to NameVirtualHost
and to <VirtualHost> is the address of the server, not the URL:

NameVirtualHost 127.0.0.1:80
<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1:80>
    ServerName www.foo1.com
    DocumentRoot /var/www/html
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1:80>
    ServerName www.foo2.com
    DocumentRoot /home/bask/documents/sites/foo2
</VirtualHost>

> 3. called both http://www.foo1.com and http://www.foo2.com from the
> browser. They both point to /var/www/html, the DocumentRoot of the first VH.
> The question is: how can I activate the second VH?

Use the syntax above.

> And secondly, when the second VH will work:
> a. what kind of file permissions should I give to its DocumentRoot? the
> same owner:group as defined in httpd.conf?

The files need to be readable by that user, and the directory +x
(searchable) by that user. You don't want it owned by, or writeable by,
that user.

--
Nothing is perfect, certainly not me
Success to failure, just a matter of degrees