httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] An awful lot of lstat()'ing going on
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2004 22:17:01 GMT

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Harald Falkenberg wrote:
> Joshua (et al), which part(s) of 'allowoverwrite all' forces such lstat
> sys calls? it is an interesting issue for all network filesystems.

Any setting other than "AllowOverride none" requires apache to check for
.htaccess files.  You almost certainly want

<Directory />
AllowOverride None
</Directory>
<Directory /path/to/place/with/.htaccess/files>
AllowOverride All
</Directory>

So that only the appropriate directories will be checked.

> Are there general guidelines existing how to avoid such performance down
> breaking configurations?

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/misc/perf-tuning.html

But if I were you, I'd start by checking what happens when you remove PHP.
That way you can figure out whether it is a base apache issue or a PHP
issue.

Joshua.