httpd-users mailing list archives

From Hans Vallden <h...@vallden.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] REPOST: IPs missing from log files
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2004 09:33:11 GMT
>Hans Vallden wrote:
>
>>  virtual domains and 5 unique IP addresses in use. After adding the
>>  latest three vhosts I noticed a strange phenomena with the log files.
>>  For some reason these three vhost log files do not get the visitor's
>>  IP address recorded, just a 'dash'. I have no clue whatsoever as to
>>  why this happens. The relevant /etc/httpd/httpd_macosxserver.conf
>>  CustomLog "/private/var/log/httpd/domain1.com/access_log"
>>  "%{PC-Remote-Addr}i %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\"
>>  \"%{User-agent}i\""
>>  CustomLog "/private/var/log/httpd/domain2.com/access_log"
>>  "%{PC-Remote-Addr}i %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\"
>>  \"%{User-agent}i\""
>
>Why in the world are you using "%{PC-Remote-Addr}i" and not "%h" for the
>address?  I have never heard of the header "PC-Remote-Addr", it must be
>some custom OS X thing that one of your client applications sends, but
>not always.

Because OS X Server's Apache works through an internal performance
cache. Hence, using the %h setting results in only the local host's
IP address being logged. I haven't heard of another way around this.
I'm glad to hear if there is one, though...

>That would explain why it's sometimes blank.  The "%{}i"
>notion only logs headers that the client sends, and so by using it
>you're entirely at the mercy of what headers your client software
>decides to send.

Maybe so, but I don't see immediate logic in this explanation because
the "%{PC-Remote-Addr}i" log setting is working perfectly fine in
about 18 of the 20 domains I host. Why would it not work for the two
in question?

Hans Vallden
hans@vallden.com