httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Laurie Harper" <l.har...@dealerimpact.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Problem with Special Characters after migrating to Apache 2.0
Date Wed, 28 Apr 2004 16:00:34 GMT
We just recently migrated a couple hundred customer web sites to a new
system, moving from Apache 1.x to 2.x. For the most part everything went
smoothly. However we began to notice that any un-encoded special
characters that had found their way into the sites through various means
were suddenly being converted to question marks.

It was suggested that this was due to Apache 2.x defaulting the
character set to UTF-8. We changed the directive to read
AddDefaultCharset Off. However now all the question marks are now the Â
character instead, so obviously this is not the difference between 1.x
and 2.x that is causing the issue.

As an FYI, we initially thought this might be a PHP processing issue, or
a MySQL conversion issue. But we were able to duplicate this on a simple
static html page, so it has to be Apache. Any ideas would be greatly
appreciated.

Laurie Harper