httpd-users mailing list archives

From hunter <theanti...@sympatico.ca>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Windows Sources for 1.3.29
Date Sat, 24 Apr 2004 18:18:00 GMT
On Sat, 2004-04-24 at 12:23, Neil Pitman wrote:
> Thanks Aaron,
>
> How do I know that this executable has not been hacked?

Niel,

My name is Chris Lewis and I create the binaries at...

http://hunter.campbus.com located somewhere in northern United States

and

http://tor.ath.cx/~hunter located in Toronto, Canada.

I have been building these binaries for several years, both for my
download sites and also for my employer (I work for a large Canadian
bank). I have established a trust relationship with thousands of people
around the world that depend on my binaries. I do everything possible to
keep my local site secure and it gets my personal attention daily. Ken
Campney securely manages the hunter.campbus.com site in the US (I ftp
the files there and verify them).

I do not hack the code.

I will try do whatever you would like to help to establish the
confidence that you need. Off-list I will identify myself completely and
we can 'get to know one another' so to speak, if you wish.

However, the only way to be certain is to build it yourself - though you
do have to trust Apache.org and at some point perhaps trust me as well.

If you take the binaries from hunter.campbus.com you should get the MD5
from tor.ath.cx/~hunter/apache and verify the zip or get both from
there.

Chris Lewis