httpd-users mailing list archives

From <ogjun...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Directory index forbidden by rule: /www/htdocs (403 Forbidden)
Date Thu, 01 Apr 2004 15:47:39 GMT
Hello,

I am having some difficulties configuring my Apache server.

Goal (pretty standard):
  Then the file is not specified in the request, load index.html in
  that directory.  If there is no index.html, do _not_ allow directory
  browsing.

Problem:
  I am getting 403 Forbidden and this error in my error_log:

    Directory index forbidden by rule: /www/htdocs

I am trying to set this up for a virtual host.
I have this in my the virtual host section:

  DocumentRoot /www/htdocs
  DirectoryIndex index.html
  <Directory "/www/htdocs">
    Options FollowSymLinks MultiViews
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
    DirectoryIndex index.html
  </Directory>

I can get rid of my error by adding 'Indexes' to the Options list.
However, that then shows the directory listing (and index.html in it),
instead of automatically loading index.html

I feel like a newbie, although I've been using Apache and NCSA httpd
for close to 10 years now.

I have Apache 1.3.29 on Linux.

Thank you,
Otis
P.S.

If it matters, the main part of the httpd.conf also contains this:

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>