httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michael D Schleif <...@helices.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Howto serve SWF directly ???
Date Fri, 02 Apr 2004 23:48:54 GMT
* Aaron W Morris <aaronmorris@mindspring.com> [2004:04:02:17:18:41-0500] scribed:
> Michael D Schleif wrote:
>
> >The following site presents a given SWF file directly, and IE, Mozilla
> >and Konqueror all display it without incident.  I do not know anything
> >about that server.
> >
> >    <http://pibmug.com/files/map_test.swf>
> >
> >The following site serves the exact same SWF:
> >
> >    <http://helices.org/tmP/map_test.swf>
> >
> >IE displays it as expected; but, both Mozilla and Konqueror display the
> >file content, rather than the expected animation.
> >
> >Clearly, there is some configuration difference between server setup on
> >pibmug.com and helices.org.
> >
> >What am I missing?
>
> The MIME type has not been setup for the swf extenstion.  It is
> currently reporting text/plain when it should be
> application/x-shockwave-flash.
>
> See below:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\decep>nc -v helices.org 80
> helices.org [216.234.189.108] 80 (http) open
> HEAD /tmP/map_test.swf HTTP/1.0
> Host: www.helices.org
>
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 22:04:49 GMT
> Server: Apache/1.3.20 Sun Cobalt (Unix) Chili!Soft-ASP/3.6.2
> mod_ssl/2.8.4 OpenSSL/0.9.6b PHP/4.1.2 mod_auth_pam_external/0.1
> FrontPage/4.0.4.3 mod_perl/1.25
> Last-Modified: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 18:41:14 GMT
> ETag: "28e004-1b6b4-4069bf4a"
> Accept-Ranges: bytes
> Connection: close

Thank you.

That's what I first thought, too.

I had added this to <DOC_ROOT>/.htaccess:

    AddType application/x-shockwave-flash swf

With this in .htaccess, instead of text/plain file contents, I get this:

    unable to complete your request.

I do not have access to httpd.conf on this shared box, and this is a
virtual host.

What do you think?

--
Best Regards,