httpd-users mailing list archives

From Chris Heath <ch...@heathens.co.nz>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.49 on Win2K resets connections
Date Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:39:12 GMT
I am having a problem with connections to the server breaking.  Small
pages load fine, but larger images display in IE6 as either a broken
image icon or the top part of the image with randomish stripes below.

I'm running Apache 2.0.49 on Windows 2000 SP4.  It works fine with
Apache 1.3.29.

Ethereal shows that a TCP reset is being sent to the client after each
request is served.  Sometimes the reset comes after all the data is sent,
and sometimes the reset cuts off the end of the data.  I get the same
symptoms when connecting to localhost, although I can't use Ethereal to
see what's going on in that case.

The server records the full file size in the access.log and nothing at
all in the error.log, i.e. it doesn't know anything is wrong.

I have uninstalled or disabled everything I could possibly imagine might
be messing with WinSock, but so far no luck.  In particular, I have
uninstalled ZoneAlarm, and winpcap (used by Ethereal), disabled McAfee
Antivirus and Internet Connection Sharing, unplugged my USB wireless
network device, and disabled countless programs that quietly run at
startup.  And of course, rebooted many many times.

I have also reduced my Apache config to a bare minimum and it still
happens:

ServerRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2"
PidFile logs/httpd.pid
ThreadsPerChild 50
MaxRequestsPerChild 0
Listen 8081
DocumentRoot "C:/html/photos"

Is there any tool out there that could help me find out what may be
causing this?  At this stage, I'm convinced it is not another process
that's conflicting, but perhaps a kernel-level driver???  I don't have a
clue where to look for that.

Chris