httpd-users mailing list archives

From peter pilsl <pi...@goldfisch.at>
Subject [users@httpd] user-auth for reverse proxy
Date Sun, 04 Apr 2004 21:24:27 GMT

On our gate I'd like to use apache2 as reverseproxy to make parts of the
intranet visible to the outside.

While the intranet does not need user-auth I need user-auth for external
access. The standard user-auth/access-directives like ALLOW, DENY,
REQUIRE only are valid inside a DIRECTORY-statement, which does not
apply to the proxy.

So how can I make apache to force user-auth before doing the
reverseproxy-stuff ? Its impossible to do the user-auth in the intranet,
cause some "webserver" in the intranet are not standard webservers, but
lousy handmade servers that only dumps data.

I tried to put the proxy-statements inside a virtual-host-environment
that also contains <Files *>require ...</Files> but seems that the
proxy-stuff does not care about <Files> :(

------------
<VirtualHost x.x.x.x:80>
   ServerName x.goldfisch.at
   VirtualDocumentRoot /data/apache
   VirtualScriptAlias /data/apache/cgi-bin

   ProxyPass            /goldfisch      http://www.goldfisch.at/goldfisch
   ProxyPassReverse     /goldfisch      http://www.goldfisch.at/goldfisch

   <Files *>
     AuthName "test"
     AuthType Basic
     AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache2/conf/proxy.pass
     require user test
   </Files>
</VirtualHost>

At the end, the gate should be only portal and internal user would not
need to auth, but external users should (best via ldap, but thats far
future ..)

thnx a lot,
peter