httpd-users mailing list archives

From trli...@clayst.com
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Multiple URLs / One Site
Date Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:09:53 GMT
On 26 Apr 2004 Joshua Slive wrote:

> With IP virtual hosting, the server doesn't care about the name at all, so
> you don't really need to do anything.  All requests for that IP address
> will go to the right virtualhost.

Thanks.  That's the conclusion I came to also.

> There is one small caveat.  Occasionally apache needs to create
> self-referential URLs.  For example, it sometimes needs to construct a
> redirect pointing to itself.

Out of curiosity, does it only do that when I do a redirect without
specifying a full URL?  Or are there other conditions?

> For that purpose, it can either use the configured ServerName, or it
> can use whatever the client specified as the name it is looking at.
> Since you want the latter, you'll want to set UseCanonicalName off
> inside the VirtualHost section.

I can do that, I read the docs on UseCanonicalName and they make sense.
Are there any security implications to setting it Off?  I can't think
of any, but wanted to double-check.

If I do it this way should I simply remove ServerName entirely?  Will
it be used for anything at all with UseCanonicalName off?

Thanks again,

--
Tom