httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Charles Ulrich" <char...@idealso.com>
Subject [users@httpd] CGI + Virtual host difficulty
Date Sun, 25 Apr 2004 06:20:43 GMT
Greetings,

I'm having a problem setting up a virtual host to handle a Perl-driven CGI
application. The problem: When accessing the virtual host, the server returns
a 500 Internal Server Error. Upon inspecting the logs, the message given is
the infamous "premature end of script headers." Nothing more. And I'm not
sure how to proceed.

The application is Bugzilla, but from my tests, it seems that it's not
Bugzilla that is specifically the problem. I substituted the printenv scipt
as distributed with Apache for Bugzilla's index.cgi and got the same results.

The are other CGI applications configured as virtual hosts that work fine,
but they all use PHP. I am using Apache 1.3.27, FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE, Perl
5.00503, and Bugzilla 2.16.4 from ports but symlinked the directory to
/www/vhosts/ where the rest of the virtual host files are stored on this
server. Bugzilla's checksetup.pl script reports everything as working
properly. The hostname that I'm using, "bugs", is correctly configured in
bind. Here is a copy of the (relevant) settings in httpd.conf:

User www
Group www
<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>
UseCanonicalName On
DefaultType text/plain
<IfModule mod_mime.c>
    AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
</IfModule>
<VirtualHost *>
    ServerAdmin webmaster@atmosphereannealing.com
    DocumentRoot /www/vhosts/bugs.atmosphereannealing.com
    DirectoryIndex index.cgi
    ServerName bugs.atmosphereannealing.com
    <Directory /www/vhosts/bugs.atmosphereannealing.com>
        Options ExecCGI
        AllowOverride Limit
    </Directory>
    ServerAlias bugs
    ErrorLog /var/log/bugs.atmosphereannealing.com-error_log
    CustomLog /var/log/bugs.atmosphereannealing.com-access_log common
</VirtualHost>

If there are any other directives that would be useful, PLEASE let me know.
I ommited the DocumentRoot directive and its Directory directive since those
settings don't seem to apply when everything on this server is literally a
virtual host.

Here is the output of the ONLY error message printed when trying to access
the page:

[Fri Apr 23 12:50:09 2004] [error] [client 192.168.10.248] Premature end of
script headers: /www/vhosts/bugs.atmosphereannealing.com/index.cgi

Now for some remedies that I have tried...

I saw a recommendation somewhere on the web to comment out "Options ExecCGI"
from the Directory directive, but that results in a 403 Forbidden error and
the log says: "Options ExecCGI is off in this directory." So I assume that
won't fix it. ;)

As I mentioned before, I replaced Bugzilla's main script, index.cgi, with
the printenv script bundled with Apache. The bangpath of printenv is
identical to the one Bugzilla is using: /usr/bin/perl. The perl executable
does indeed live in that location and is executable.

I have double- and triple-checked that permissions and symlinks do not seem
to be the problem.

Any other suggestions or comments would be extremely helpful, welcome, and
much appreciated.

Charles Ulrich