httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Problem: My Apache/1.3.29 (Unix) serves directory listings but not files
Date Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:05:52 GMT

This is more indicative of the packet being dropped (typical FW
behaviour) rather than reject (which is what happens if apache doesn't
want to talk to the client).

> None of these issues occur when using Lynx on the server to view the
> content.
>
> Steps taken to isolate the problem:
> - removal of the index page (index.php), but even then, no root dir
> listing is given
> - GETting plain text files: no success
> - running
>     echo -e "GET http://punkmailer.hopto.org/index.php
> HTTP/1.0\n\n" |
> nc punkmailer.hopto.org 80 | less
>     locally to check the headers (I'd be grateful if someone
> would try
> this from their box)
> - checking the server address in httpd.conf
> - file permissions are good, and no 403 errors, either.

If requests from inside and outside are served by the same virtual host,
then the configuration cannot be to blame. Is there a firewall between
apache and the internet? Could it have any funny rules?

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

Groupe SWX.

> With my curious mix of knowledge and ignorance (plus a  lot
> of messing
> around) I'm pretty convinced this is a problem with my Apache
> configuration settings for the outside world: the box is behind a
> firewall but there is clearly data exchange going on: my access_log
> shows the GET request; the error_log is clean. That, plus
> subdirectories
> will be listed.
>
> Extensive googles haven't thown up the answer (that's how I
> tend to get
> most of my solutions). If my configuration files are desired, I'll
> upload them and post the links if that would be appropriate.
>
> Any suggestions apprecated.
>
> --
> James Valentine
>
> mob: 07971 287041