httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Directory index forbidden by rule: /www/htdocs (403 Forbidden)
Date Thu, 01 Apr 2004 15:59:55 GMT
On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 ogjunk-h@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am having some difficulties configuring my Apache server.
>
> Goal (pretty standard):
>   Then the file is not specified in the request, load index.html in
>   that directory.  If there is no index.html, do _not_ allow directory
>   browsing.
>
> Problem:
>   I am getting 403 Forbidden and this error in my error_log:
>
>     Directory index forbidden by rule: /www/htdocs

Yeah, that's what you just said you wanted to happen. Do not allow
directory browsing.

> I am trying to set this up for a virtual host.
> I have this in my the virtual host section:
>
>   DocumentRoot /www/htdocs
>   DirectoryIndex index.html
>   <Directory "/www/htdocs">
>     Options FollowSymLinks MultiViews
>     AllowOverride None
>     Order allow,deny
>     Allow from all
>     DirectoryIndex index.html
>   </Directory>
>

> I can get rid of my error by adding 'Indexes' to the Options list.
> However, that then shows the directory listing (and index.html in it),
> instead of automatically loading index.html

So, the directory in question does contain an index.html file? Can you
load that index.html file if you request it explicitly? If not, what
error message happens in that case?

--
Who can say where the road goes
Where the day flows