httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Can you create multiple responses for a single client reqest through Proxy?
Date Tue, 27 Apr 2004 16:10:16 GMT
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, ray v wrote:

> My apologies on the mix of questions.

OK, I'll have a stab at this.

> I would like to write a module for Apache that sets up
> communications with a client in such a way that...
>
> When the client sends a request the server response by
> sending several response-messages with status codes
> and doesn't care if the client sends anymore requests.

HTTP specifies one request <---> one response.  But that's not the
whole story.

The simplest way to accomplish what you want might be to package
your response-messages as a multipart MIME document.  That's
the same principle as an email message with attachments.

Otherwise, you can pack several requests and responses on a
single connection with Keep-Alive, provided both the Client
and server agree.  That's common behaviour; for example in
cases where a browser uses a single connection to fetch an
HTML page together with a stylesheet, a script, and some images
required to display the page.

If both the client and server agree, you can also upgrade a
connection from HTTP to a protocol of your choice.

> The idea is that if we have a presistant connection to
> the Apache server can we continually send status
> messages in the form of standard http response
> messages.

That sounds a little like Netscape's (old) server push.
Implementing it in Apache would be straightforward, but you'd
need your users to be running a supporting Client application.
A JAVA applet would be an option, with the usual caveats of course.

> The second half of the question is my attempt at
> understand that if my first question were possible
> what will happen through mod_proxy?

Then whatever you do has to be supported in three rather than just
two places.  But you'd probably be better off building a bit more
into the proxy, and having it accept one-message-for-many-clients.

> There are a lot of things I don't quite understand
> about the http 1.1 spec. I don't think I'm alone here,
> but I want to establish a rule for my questions.
>
> So, to that end. Is it true that for every http
> request made by a client a response must be made?

Basically, yes.  Though that can be flexible if both parties
to a connection agree.

> If this is the rule and their are no exceptions, I
> have no basis for what I'm trying to accomplish and I
> can move on to other things. :)

Sorry, I'm not giving you an excuse not to do your work.

--
Nick Kew

Nick's manifesto: http://www.htmlhelp.com/~nick/