httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Umlaut ServerName
Date Fri, 02 Apr 2004 23:13:53 GMT

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, Mario Ohnewald wrote:

> Hello List!
>
> I have a few domains pointing to my webserver, which are one of the new
> Umlaut (german öäü) Domains.
> Can Apache handle such special domain names in a name-based vhost?

I'm not an expert in this, but my understanding of the new
internationalized domain names is that they are all encoded in regular old
7-bit ASCII for usage on the network.  So you can just use the ASCII form
(xn--de-whatever) in the apache ServerName directive, and clients who
understand should handle it correctly.

Joshua.