httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] 2.0.40 issue
Date Fri, 02 Apr 2004 14:42:29 GMT

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, John Kolvereid wrote:
>     I am using 2.0.40 and cannot access an index.htm page in a directory
> off the DocumentRoot.  I am wondering if it is a configuration problem
> or a problem w/ my version of Apache.  I never had this problem w/ v
> 1.3.23 but the configs may have changed since then, al
>     Another curious factor is that I have no problem accessing the
> index.htm page locally from my LAN (even when I access the site thru the
> internet).  However, when I try from a different location I cannot
> access it.  I doubt seriously that it is a firewall issue - but who
> knows.
>     Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thx.

2.0.40 is a rather old version of apache, but it is highly unlikely that
that is your problem.

On the other hand, it is impossible to tell what your problem is because
"cannot access" is way too vague!  What exactly happens?  What do you see
in your browser?  What do you see in your error log?  What changes have
you made to the default configuration.

Based on the fact that it works from some places but not others, the most
likely cause is an incorrect ServerName messing up a trailing-slash
redirect:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#set-servername
But that is just a guess.

Joshua.