httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache child process consuming massive RAM
Date Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:04:55 GMT

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Harrell, Roger wrote:

> >> That's all of the *.conf files. As far as scripts causing the problems,
> it's
> >> unlikely. All of the scripts that are there have been running without
> >> trouble on another box. Most of them for a few years.
> >
> >On the other hand, it is quite likely that one of these scripts is the
> >problem.  Try taking out all of these include files and see if the problem
> >persists.  If it goes away, add them back one by one until you find where
> >the problem is.
>
> Ok I commented out the modules for python, perl and php one by one. Python
> adds about 1.2 MB to each httpd child process, perl adds about 1.2 MB and
> PHP adds about 4 MB to each child process. I am not using python so I've
> left that commented out, but PHP and perl are both essential for my server
> (perl very little, I could do without that). So why are these child
> processes requiring so much more ram than on my older box? I'm running PHP
> 4.2.2 on my old box and don't experience this. Is the difference in Apache
> 2? I can get more RAM, but want to know if I can tune Apache as well.

Hmmm... You originally said the processes where using 20MB each.  Are you
saying that even after all third-party modules are gone, you still have
around 13MB per process?  That is way too big.

I'm not a php expert, but you should take a look at what modules you have
compiled into php and see if there are some you don't need.

Joshua.