httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Setting up Apache SSIs under Mac OS X
Date Tue, 27 Apr 2004 16:53:39 GMT

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Stan Horwitz wrote:
> After hours of research by reading info on the apache.org web site,
> Apple's support web site, and some other web sites, I am still stymied
> about how to get the server side includes in my .html files to be executed
> on my Mac. I have tried the "XBitHack on" method, but it didn't work. I
> put that XBitHack on"  statement in both /etc/httpd/httpd.conf and
> /etc/httpd/users/stan.conf and I tried various other ways to get the
> include statements in my pages to work, but to no avail. Every document I
> looked at describes a different procedure to enable SSIs in Apache.

As you can see here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#ssi-part-i
There are two steps in getting SSI to work:

1. Designating the appropriate documents with AddHandler or XBitHack.

2. Turing on the includes option.

So, your case could look something like
<Directory /home/stan/Sites/tu_courses>
Options +Includes
AddHandler server-parsed html
</Directory>

See also the note here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#options
for why the location of the Options directive in the config file is very
important.

Also note that #include virtual is almost always preferred to #exec cgi.

Joshua.