httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Martin Lomas" <mlo...@rogers.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Access log size - impact on server/system?
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:01:06 GMT
Hello,

I've just switched away from very 'brief' access logging, to full-blown 'combined' logging,
so now my access log grows at a much faster rate. I'd like to understand the impact of potentially
large log-files on system and server performance.

I presume the log(s) are opened once by Apache at startup, so there's an obvious hit there.
But aren't updates simply appended to logs from that point? What's a sensible point at which
to rotate logs - 10mb? 100mb? My situation is a low-traffic personal site.

Running Apache 1.3.31 on Win32 Athlon 800mHz 512gb RAM.

Thanks for any advice,
Martin
http://www.musicwomb.org/