httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] cgi
Date Sat, 05 Jun 2004 13:16:14 GMT
Barth (John) Jones wrote:
> The #!/usr/bin/perl path is just used so it can be run on a Unix system.
> My understanding is that it's optional when running on Windows according
> to this site:

It is ignored when you execute a script from Windows' so-called "shell",
however...

> The 'shebang' line is not necessary under Win32. It will be ignored.

Wrong. Apache's CGI module(s) use it to find the interpreter when attempting
to execute the script. By default the shebang line must point to the correct
interpreter, even on Windows. You can set the directive SetInterpreterSource
to 'Registry' which will cause the interpreter to be looked up in the
registry instead. The default for this directive is 'Script' (the *nix
style). See:
    http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#scriptinterpretersource

Regards,
Robert Andersson