httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] cgi
Date Sun, 06 Jun 2004 12:22:21 GMT
BAO RuiXian wrote:
> > Uhm, not exactly. That subkey [Shell\ExecCGI\Command] is only
> > searched if ScriptInterpreterSource is set to "Registry-Strict", and it
> > will fail if an interpreter isn't found.
>
> But, according to
> http://localhost/manual/mod/core.html#scriptinterpretersource:

Yepp, you're right, it is search too if the directive is set to Registry.
Sorry about that.

> > The case they warn for is when it is set to "Registry", in conjunction
> > with ScriptAlias, in which case all requests will cause execution of the
> >application associated with each file. This might be IE, Photoshop, ...
>
> I understand from the docs that the above is only true when there is no
> proper setting for the subkey /Shell/ExecCGI/Command, as I originally
> said.

But you generally won't assign a "safe" interpreter for all types of files
in the subkey. That subkey (ExecCGI) is thus only useful when using
Registry-Strict or you want eg. one Perl version when executing from the
normal shell and another when executing CGI.

I did not mean that your comment was wrong, but as I interpreted it,
somewhat off-target (partially based on incorrect memory from my part ;). I
appologize.

In closing, using 'ScriptInterpreterSource Registry' together with
ScriptAlias is a *bad* idea. If you must use ScriptAlias, use
'Registry-Strict' and manually setup registry items under
\Shell\ExecCGI\Command.

Regards,
Robert Andersson