httpd-users mailing list archives

From Evan Borgstrom <evan.borgst...@ca.mci.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Million+ web pages in a single directory?
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2004 17:17:01 GMT
Windows 2000 running NTFS has a file limitation of ((2^32)-1) (or about
4.2 billion) files in a single directory so long as it's not the root of
the volume (FAT 32 is ((2^22)-1)). However, once you approach a couple
hundred thousand filesystem preformance will be degraded depeneding on
your host provider (ie. IDE, SCSI [U160,U320,etc], FC SAN) when an
operation needs to open that directory. Anothe rule of thumb is stay
away from these large directories when using Windows Explorer.

On the the other hand I don't know how Apache on win2k will handle 1m+
files in a single directory. You might want to add a "Option -Indexes"
for that directory in your httpd.conf.

-Evan

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 11:18, lherbst@propappr.marion.fl.us wrote:

> We are running Apache 2.0.48 on a Windows 2000 Server using NTFS in support
> of ESRI ArcIMS.  We are hosting a web site with 1 million+ pages on our
> mainframe and are thinking about moving it off the mainframe to the Windows
> 2000 Server.  Are there any issues we should be concerned about with Apache
> or Windows 2000 handling 1 million+ web pages in a single directory?  All
> requests specify which web page to load, there is never a need to list
> contents of the directory.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lee Herbst
> Programmer/Analyst
> Marion County Property Appraiser
> Marion County, Florida, USA

Evan Borgstrom <evan.borgstrom@ca.mci.com>
Sr. Unix Admin - MCI Canada Hosting Services