httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tomasz Chmielewski <man...@interia.pl>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_proxy - apache as a transparent forward proxy (for LAN users)
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2004 10:53:06 GMT
Nick Kew wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>

>>yes, that's why I changed the topic and the message a bit, hoping
>>someone has already solved such problem (how to make apache work as a
>>transparent proxy (in forward proxy mode) - so that LAN users wouldn't
>>have to alter their browsers' settings in order to use proxy).
>

> That doesn't make sense.  If your users don't configure their browsers
> to use a proxy, then the proxy will never see their traffic.  Forcing
> traffic to route through your proxy is a networking issue, nothing to
> do with Apache or Squid.

Of course it does make sense and it has a lot to do with Apache or Squid.

Read about transparent proxying before such comments.

Generally certain proxies (for example, Squid) are able to proxy
"transparently" for the end user.

It works as below:

Client requests google.com:80
-> request redirected with iptables to proxy:3128 (so no need for the
end user to change proxy settings)
-> proxy reads (from kernel I assume) real address (google.com in our
case) and serves the page to the client.

This way the client is served by the web proxy, without even knowing it.

In Squid it's very easy: you just add a set of directives, so it knows
that requests can be "transparent":

httpd_accel_host virtual
httpd_accel_port 80
httpd_accel_with_proxy on
httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

check here for details:

http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-17.html

And all I would like to know, if it's possible with Apache.

-- T.