httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Johnson <rjohn...@espgroup.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Forwarding requests to internal webserver after authentication
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2004 16:50:26 GMT
Hi everyone,

Ok here is my scenario. I have a webserver that I want to protect using
authentication, the method of authentication does not really matter,
although I am using mod_auth_mysql and it works fine. What I want to
have is an apache server in front of the webserver I am trying to
protect that will provide an authentication mechanism to the protected
webserver. That is I authenticate against the external apache server
before being allowed to communicate to the internal webserver. What I
cannot figure out is when a client is sent to the external apache server
and is propmted for authentication (and the user authenticates
correctly), for the apache server to then forward all requests to the
protected webserver without the client knowing anything of the protected
webserver. So basically I want the external webserver to forward all the
requests to the protected webserver after a user has been authenticated.
Redirects wont work because the internal webserver will have an internal
ip and it would break our model anyhow. Also mod_auth_mysql seems to
only work in a directory container so I *think* I need to have whatever
forwards the requests inside the directory container if that makes sense.

Can apache do this for me, if so how? I have played around with
mod_proxy, but that did not seem to do the trick.

Thank you in advance,
Ryan