httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] What's the difference between mod_cache and the reverse proxy ?
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2004 20:51:01 GMT
On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 04:47:19 +0900, wolfgang127us@yahoo.co.jp
<wolfgang127us@yahoo.co.jp> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> As I wrote in the subject, I wanna know the difference between them.

You seem a little confused, since running mod_proxy without mod_cache
wouldn't do anything for you.  It would simply pass every request from
one host to another.

Your true question should be: do you use mod_proxy+mod_cache to
distribute requests to back-end servers, or do you simply use
mod_cache on the backend servers.  This is an architecture question.

Certainly using mod_proxy+mod_cache has some advantages: only a single
copy of the cache is necessary, rather than one per server; you could
possible serve some of the static content locally from the proxy
server and never touch the backend; security rules could be applied
before requests reach the backend servers; etc.  But it also
introduces another point of failure and another level of
content-handling in the chain.

Which will be best for your system depends on many different
complicated factors.  You'd probably need to hire a serious consultant
to get yes/no answer.  On lists like this, you're more likely to get
answers to more specific and concrete questions.

Joshua.