httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Randy Paries" <randy.par...@unitnet.com>
Subject [users@httpd] A couple of tuning questions
Date Mon, 04 Oct 2004 14:15:09 GMT
Hello,

I have a rh9 box with apache 2 and tomcat 5

The apache server gets about  1.2M hits a day

on average i have about 110 httpd running when i do a ps -ef | grep httpd |
wc -l, but on Monday mornings my busiest I have around 225 httpd running

I am trying to determine what are the best setting for my prefork MPM
settings.

I am getting conflicting suggestions on MaxClients on the RH pages it says::
"However, it is not recommended that the value for MaxClients exceeds 256
when using the prefork MPM. "
BUT on other pages is says that on busy sites i should have MaxClients  512
and ServerLimit set to 1024 Not sure if my server is considered busy. I am
tending to think yes.

these are my current settings:
<IfModule prefork.c>
StartServers         5