httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] What defines www2? - getting OT
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:55:21 GMT

It's not an argument - it's a light-hearted observation, clearly marked as OT. But since you
do choose to get involved:

> but I
> don't see how acronyms are meant to be optimal. They are meant to be
> logical. If this wasn't true, your reference to FQDN should be "full
> address"?
>
> These acronyms are generally dating back to the originating
> RFC (How do you pronounce that one?).

are-eff-sea

> BTW, most in the industry use "dub dub dub". It flows, no
> tongue tripping,
> and it is understood.

Not by my granny. We techies are a tiny minority of web-users. How often have you heard radio
and TV announcers come out with "triple-double-you" (what's that - six "you"s?) or some other
silly construct... That's my point. The phrase is ugly, doesn't translate well and is pronounced
inconsistently.

> I think the fella actually had a question about vhosts/dns
> and the lot,
> not this.

Of course. I'm just shooting the breeze on a slow day...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle